COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) – health advice for the general public
Ngāti Tama ki Te Waipounamu Trust encourage our whānau to stay healthy and seek information and advice about the COVID-19 virus from the Ministry of Health Website.
There are simple steps you can take to protect you and your whānau.
The symptoms of COVID-19 are:
- a cough
- a high temperature (at least 38°C)
- shortness of breath.
If you have these symptoms and have recently been to a country or area of concern, or have been in close contact with someone confirmed with COVID-19, please telephone Healthline (for free) on 0800 358 5453 or your doctor immediately.
Prevention – how to protect your whānau and others
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or by covering your mouth and nose with tissues
- Put used tissues in the bin or a bag immediately
- Wash your hands with soap and water often (for at least 20 seconds)
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
- Avoid personal contact, such as kissing, sharing cups or food with sick people
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects, such as doorknobs
- Stay home if you feel unwell
- Call Healthline on 0800 358 5453 if you have any symptoms and have been to any countries or territories of concern or have been in close contact with someone confirmed with COVID-19.