Applications now open for Rangatahi Hunting, Fishing and Gathering Wānanga – led by whānaunga Shannon Thompson
He kai kei aku ringa Rangatahi ki Te Tauihu is the first of its kind for Te Tauihu, this pilot wānanga brings together rangatahi from across all 8 iwi of Te Tauihu to foster self-determination, cultural identity and self-development. Under the mana of Wakapuaka mana whenua, rangatahi will be guided through mātauranga and local knowledge to learn life skills to gather and prepare kai within a Te Ao Māori framework.
When: Friday 16th – Monday 19th July (School Holidays)
Where: Wakapuaka (base)
Who: Rangatahi (Taitamawahine me Taitamatāne) 13 – 18yrs.
This unique 4-day wānanga, delivered in July school holidays, will give rangatahi aged 13-18 the skills to:
• Learn basic bush navigation, bush sustainability, basic hunting skills, including health and safety preparation and practice in Wakapuaka bush
• Mahinga kai – learn traditional food gathering practices so rangatahi can identify safe areas to gather kai and correct collection methods.
• Taiāpure – learning about the functions of a Taiāpure to ensure access to abundant and safe kai moana for future generation and to protect mauri and wairua (local environment and people) of kai and moana.
• Mātaitai – Gather of shellfish using traditional techniques and tools and learning about sustainability of marine areas and safety around coastlines
• Catching tuna using traditional techniques and tools and learning about health and safety around waterways
• Learn and practice waiata, karakia and te reo me ōna tikanga in a safe and supportive environment
HOW TO APPLY:
Due to the limited spaces we ask whānau to call Adrienne to request an application, consent form, and ask her any pātai about the kaupapa.
021 962 911 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: 30th June 2021.